What We Learned From Taking a Day Off in 2021
Toward the end of 2021, we let our team know we were taking a day off. It wasn’t a holiday or special day – we just knew our team needed a break. So we took one.
Our team works really hard, and especially in the hiring landscape we’ve been in, they were putting in extra work and time. As a company, we value our employees and knew it was time to give them a break. Sure, we have holidays and set days on the calendar that our business is closed, but this was different. Making this a surprise day off made it even more special.
Here’s what we learned after doing this day off:
- The health (both mental and physical) of your employees matters more than anything else.
- When we recharge, we come back better than before.
- Invest in your employees and they’ll stick around.
- “Culture” can mean caring about employees enough to give them a random day off.
- When we’re burnt out, we don’t perform at our highest level.
- We’re stronger, together.
We learned so much from this surprise day off last year – and saw such a difference in our team the following Monday.
I encourage you to try something similar. We certainly have plans to do this again.